Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Day 2: Simple Sirloin Steak w/ Shallot Butter, Lemon Thyme Orzo and Cheesy Popovers

It has taken me a while to post this but before I do, I wanted to show the cookbook I am using:

I started the recipe by making the compound butter. This is a very simple and flavorful item. I know that in the future, I will use this technique with other meats. You can add just about anything to butter to make it special.  This recipe called for thyme and shallots.

After mixing the butter, it is placed in the fridge right away so it is hardened before placing it on the hot meat.

Popovers are another favorite and it was by far the favorite for my family from this meal.  So few ingredients and so yummy! Below is the butter placed in the bottom of the muffin pan that is placed in the oven so it can melt before the batter is poured in.

Any kind of cheese can be used to flavor the popovers.  The recipe called for swiss cheese, but I had cheddar on hand and they were delicious!

The orzo called for boiling chicken stock and water.  Orzo is very small pasta and unfortunately the amount of orzo I used did not absorb all the liquid.  I added in the flavor ingredients below (lemon zest, Parmesan cheese and thyme) and then had to scoop out the orzo with a slotted spoon.  The flavors did not fully come through so it was not a family favorite :(


I don't usually cook steak, not even Sirloin Steak which is pretty easy.  This is not my comfort zone so I do not try it often.  This recipe was self explanatory so I cooked it according to the recipe and it came out pretty good! Medium rare. 

This is the finished steak with the cold compound butter.  It was wonderful how the butter melted and made the flavor even better!

Here are the popovers......

And the full meal....

Okay, I have been cooking up a storm with other recipes that I am finding as I look at cooking magazines or on the Food Network but have not taken any pictures, so I don't think I will post them.  But if one is REALLY good, I might :)

Until next time, enjoy trying new recipes.  If you want any of these recipes, you can find them on Foodnetwork.com


No comments:

Post a Comment